GREEN BROOK ACADEMY – EXTENDED SCHOOL YEAR OPTION (ESY) 2021
WE HAVE OPENINGS!
We are accepting students (BD, ERI, MH, OHI) grades 6‐12 who can benefit from a summer ESY placement while meeting their IEP needs.
In addition, we are accepting students who may not have been originally recommended for ESY but need additional supports both therapeutically and educationally to regain diminished skills due to pandemic learning.
OUR ESY program will benefit the student, both educationally and socially, giving them the opportunity to be ready to enter the school building in September.
SUMMER GOALS: Eliminate Covid Fatigue. Be School Ready. Re-Connect in Person. HAVE FUN!
THIS IS A 5 DAY PER WEEK IN-PERSON PROGRAM FOR 20 DAYS
Dates: July 12, 2021-August 6, 2021 Hours: 9:30am-1:30pm
This Year’s ESY Program Theme – Essential Skills For A Successful Future
Through Fun Academic Engagement Our Students Can Expand Their Learning Capabilities To Be School Ready for September.
Our ESY program this summer will focus on Career Readiness Skills & Social/Emotional Skills. Post Pandemic Preparedness will be an important component to re-establish social connections and interactions allowing students to express themselves and give them the opportunity to experience a positive in-school experience with some time away from the computer! We will also include time for independent studies and/or credit recovery as determined by each student’s IEP Team.
At GBA we believe students need to re-acquaint themselves with Pre-Covid Learning by stepping AWAY from the computer for part of the day. Time to bring the FUN back to their educational experiences, engage in hands on activities and collaborative classroom exercises. Our program will adhere to all safety protocols as established by the NJDOH and NJDOE.
Essential Skills Of The Summer of 2021
- Social/Emotional Skills – Self-Awareness, Self-Management, Social Awareness, Responsible Decision Making & Relationship Skills
- Career Readiness Skills – Career Inventory to determine areas of interest as well as Employment Skills/Job Applications/ Interview Skills & Resume Building
The Extended School Year Program at Green Brook Academy is designed to help maintain and reinforce skills to prevent academic and social regression. The ESY program will also provide students with an understanding of what this means while enhancing each student’s Social Emotional Learning and Essential Life Skills knowledge through a hands on, student centered learning environment.
By learning and developing both social/emotional and career readiness skills, including self-awareness skills, reasoning skills including decision making, communication, as well as time management, employment skills, resume building and interview techniques we can work towards understanding what independence and success looks like in our 21st century society.
Developing an understanding in these areas, will offer our students the ability to clearly navigate the world around them during challenging times.
Through a combination of project‐based learning, classroom study and fun field activities; students are provided with opportunities to grow both academically and socially.
Specific Program Details
ESY Dates: July 12, 2021 – August 6, 2021 (20‐day program)
Hours: 9:00 am – 1:30 pm
- To eliminate substantial academic and behavioral regression over the summer break and diminish the effects of the past 18 months learning in a pandemic.
- To provide our students with supportive counseling services. Counseling is substantially important to the emotional development of each student in our care and is often what is necessary to ensure behavioral and academic retention during summer months. This Summer our focus on Social, Emotional Learning will continue. Students will be given opportunities through counseling and classroom experiences to reconnect with their peers and teachers in a pre-pandemic atmosphere yet following all current safety protocols as set forth by the NJDOE and NJDOH.
- To provide an academic based program tailored to their needs which offers our students an opportunity to further develop the necessary skills to reach their individualized goals as stated in their IEP’s. Through the use of the Wide Range Achievement Test (WRAT‐5th ed.), we can pinpoint academic areas in need of additional support.
- To offer small class sizes which will give each student the individualized attention they will need to enhance their academic skills.
- Each student will be offered an individually tailored program to meet their academic needs. All courses will be taught by Highly Qualified Teaching Staff.
- Core Content Areas: Language Arts Literacy ¨ Math ¨ Science¨ Physical Education/Health ¨ Elective Credit
To REFER A STUDENT OR TO RECEIVE ADDITIONAL INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT US!
Colleen Motzel, Director * firstname.lastname@example.org * 732.469.8677 x22
Kristen Tarazi-Muto, School Social Worker/Intake Coord. * email@example.com *732.469.8677 x331
SCHOOL UPDATES FOR 3/23/2021
We are PLEASED to announce that Green Brook Academy will be returning to 5-day IN-PERSON Instruction effective Monday, April 19th.
While our current schedule has seen success, we are very excited to make the move to a 5-day in-person option for all of our students. The need for the face-to-face interaction for many of our students is crucial. It is time to move forward, and with the Covid data generally trending down, vaccination rates slowly increasing and the implementation of new CDC classroom guidance, we believe that it is time to get back in 5 days a week!
To date, we have not experienced any school based Covid-19 transmissions or the need for quarantining due to in school exposures.
Our 5-day in-person daily schedule will continue to include “cohorted” classrooms and we of course will continue our safety and cleaning protocols established since day one. We also will continue to provide lunch for all students which is served in the classroom setting as well as the opportunity for outdoor activities and their regularly scheduled PE classes. (Note: If any changes to community/regional CALI data suggests in-person classes are detrimental to the health and safety of the school community, we will would, in consultation with our local health department, return to either a hybrid learning or virtual learning schedule.)
Families continue to have the option for their child to be a virtual learner due to current state mandates, so if a family feels virtual is still their child’s best option, we will continue to support them on our virtual learning program.
If you are a parent looking for options for your child or students in your district that are not seeing success in their current learning program or have been on home instruction and need a new placement, please think of us. We are able to conduct both in-person or virtual intake appointments. We continue to do our best to go above and beyond to give each student we work with the support they need to navigate not only this current situation of learning during Covid, but establish a plan for their future success in their educational journey.
Green Brook Academy doesn’t give up, we are dedicated to giving each student the opportunity to not only see their potential, but help them reach their potential….and become a somebody!
The link below will take you to our updated and approved Green Brook Academy Re-Opening Plan document.
Proudly Serving The Special Education Community Since 1979